Friday 16 February 2018

Cherries


My childhood home was surrounded by cherry orchards. When my father bought the subdivision to build our house, he kept 10 cherry trees on our lot. My sister and I would have cherry pit fights all fruiting season. I remember climbing rickety, vertigo inducing, 3 legged ladders to pick buckets and buckets of cherries that my mother spend days canning or making jam from. This meant years and years of eating canned cherries, stewed cherries, cherries in cakes, cherry pie, cherry jam... any way you could eat cherries we did.

I am not fond of cherries.

However, they are beautiful things to draw. Cherry season is just finishing here and I saw some in our excellent local greengrocer and bought a few to draw. This was created using the Prismacolour pencils on a cream toned 250gsm Stonehenge paper. Size is approx 12 x 17cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment